12.28.2008

if tomorrow were my last

The ultimate, inescapable problem that humans face on a daily basis is that our time on this earth is limited.  People deal with this issue differently.  Some choose not to think about it, others refuse to recognize it, and then there are people that understand it and in turn use that knowledge to passionately chase after every opportunity.  A question I have presented to myself in response to desiring to live a passionate, full life is, if tomorrow were my last what would I do today?  This age old question brings the pieces of life that truly matter to the forefront of the mind.  If tomorrow were my last, I would tell my parents how greatly they have shaped me, I would rebuild broken bridges, I would laugh, I would read, I would spend time with those that are closest to me, I would take a friend out to coffee that I have lost contact with, I would do something I thought I would never do, I would forgive, I would boldly speak truth regardless of the consequences, I would try something people always told me I could not do, I would watch the sunrise, I would choose my words carefully, and I would listen more intently.  If tomorrow were my last, I would do the things I should have been doing all along.  What a shame that we do not live with this mentality in mind, because I am convinced our lives would be more full, more vibrant, and more impactful.  As I attempt to live with the end in mind and make the treasures of life a priority, join me and ask yourself today..what would I do if tomorrow were my last?    

No comments: