It is interesting how the most inspiring thoughts can occur at the most random times. While munching on a chicken salad sandwich this afternoon at a local bakery, I was suddenly overwhelmed with a sense of peace and contentment. There was nothing elaborate or unnatural about the sandwich itself or the atmosphere, however there was something incredibly unique about that moment and the joy I was experiencing. Initially bewildered, I let my mind wander in order to attempt to find the answer to the question that I immediately raised..why am I so pleased right now? I eventually came to the conclusion that there was something quite enjoyable about slowing down, savoring a meal that I was mightily thankful for, and realizing how sad it was that I normally do not enjoy such a moment. The power of simplicity reigned right then.
My nerdiness quickly emerged and I began to debate with myself the benefits of simplicity versus complexity in life. Of course there are advantages in both realms, however I wondered if I would have experienced the same joy at that moment in the bakery if I was instead going through a drive thru for lunch, while on my Blackberry, with talk radio blaring in the background. The obvious answer is, well..most likely not. Granted there are great aspects of each of those three elements. Each serves a distinct function that helps me go about my day. But I could not bring myself to say that drive thrus, Blackberrys, and talk radio would all simultaneously provide me with the same refreshing feeling of joy as solely focusing upon one element, the sandwich in this case. In the business world, companies that focus upon developing a few products versus many have experienced growth. The reason for this revolves around quality. If a company is providing people with a limited number of products, they can focus upon making those products reliable, desirable, and worth the buck. The same goes for our lifestyles. Instead of products though, it is possessions and to do lists. When I live simply, I am able to focus on the small treasures of life which allows me to become truly happy and content.
Simplicity is the antithesis of what we are taught to value in Western society. Instead, it is expected that power, making ourselves known, and acquiring as much as possible is to be sought out. However the more I think about how quick our time on earth is and how a lot of what people around me are striving towards is anything but eternal, I realize how attractive simplicity suddenly appears. Today I was reminded how fruitful slowing down, developing relationships, pursuing what I am passionate about, and therefore seeking simplicity can be. It is pretty amazing what you can learn from a sandwich.
No comments:
Post a Comment