Having recently graduated from university, I have, like every other graduate, been plagued by the same haunting question..."What are you going to do?" This question can be quite intimidating. There is a certain amount of pressure upon young people entering this transition period because they have spent the majority of their lives becoming educated so that they can become an essential part of society and earn a living that can in turn serve as provision. Therefore, making a decision about how to invest your time and energy following completion of school is important. I do believe that such a decision is important, however I have become alright with admitting that I do not know exactly what I want to do and where and for what reason. This view may sound apathetic and lacking direction, but in all reality that is not the case at all. I have several passions, dreams, and goals and I believe those elements all play a role in discovering how I want to spend my time here on earth. But I also think that discovery is a process. It is interesting to see how our desire for instant gratification has carried over to our life plan. My desire to figure out what I am going to do is motivated by my interest in discovering how my passions, dreams, and goals can be implemented, rather than simply finding a career. I do not want a career, I want something meaningful and lasting. All of that to say, I have decided to look for opportunities that will enable me to use my passions first and foremost. This has led me to pursue a unique opportunity I am very excited about..
For the next few months, I will be working in a hostel in Amsterdam Netherlands. This hostel exists for a bigger reason that simply to provide lodging. It is about service, relationships, and truth. It is about communicating the love of Jesus with travelers. I am stoked about this opportunity because it will allow me to experience a new culture, relate with others, and broaden my horizons in regards to how I think and view the world. Will this serve as a career? No. Will it force me to use my gifts and passions? Yes. I truly believe this experience will equip me for whatever comes next. I look forward to sharing with you what I learn, so keep reading!
Shelter Christian Hostels
1 comment:
Whooo! So proud of you for following your heart-- that takes a lot of courage. I'm sure you'll change the world and a few lives along the way. Enjoy Enjoy!!! And we will read about it every step of the way.
Dani
Post a Comment