I find this world of ours a very fascinating place. I'm interested in learning more about how it all works. Stories, shared information, and just good old discussion are great ways of accomplishing that and this blog is my attempt at doing just that.
12.08.2008
christmas and giving
As the peak of the holiday season comes into focus I struggle with remembering why we celebrate Christmas in the first place. Daily I am bombarded with commercials, billboards, and sales advertisements attempting to lure me into the shallowness of consumerism. 'Stuff' is by no means the evil of the world, however there must be moderation and an evaluation of our motives. Christmas is about remembering Jesus' life and his sacrifice, being with family and investing in others, and slowing down to recollect ourselves before another year begins. These elements are fading away though, amidst the chaos that is, well, the holiday. One way we can get back to the basics is to focus upon rejoicing in the blessings we have been given, and then using those blessings to benefit others. Within this, the true meaning of giving will become illuminated. I am challenging myself this year to reignite my relationship with Jesus and others, as well as look for opportunities to contribute to something that will last instead of those socks that my sister will most likely toss out. A movement called Advent Conspiracy is attempting to do just this, and I encourage you to check out what is going on within this organization and how people all across the nation are becoming involved. There is something insanely beautiful about stepping outside of ourselves, recognizing a need, and then meeting that need. Remember what Christmas truly represents, and look for ways to give in a new and fresh way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thank you Susan for your comment. I am pleased that you have enjoyed reading, and I hope you will continue to express your thoughts, ideas, and concerns.
Post a Comment