6.12.2009

small world

It is always comical when phrases that are overused truly become a reality. We have all heard the "it is a small world" one. Well this became especially true for me in the last week or so. Not long ago, I received a phone call at my home here in Amsterdam which really caught me off guard to begin with. When I answered it, I heard a semi familiar voice on the other end. It turned out to be a good friend from my home city in America. This person has played a significant role in the youth group in the church that I grew up in and I have not talked to him in quite awhile. He was in Amsterdam on business, discovered I was here also and wanted to get together. We ended up meeting at church the next morning. How cool is it that my first church experience in Amsterdam was spent with several new friends and an old one.

Late last night at the hostel, staff and guests gathered together in the cafe for a time of prayer. There was a young woman across the circle that I immediately recognized, however I could not think of how I knew her. We struck up a conversation and eventually discovered that we both worked at Kanakuk Colorado (a summer camp in America) three years ago. She happened to be passing through the city and was staying at the hostel.

It is a small world. Being reunited with these two friends here in Amsterdam forced me to have an internal discussion about coincidence and appointment. Although it would be easy to write off this experience as a coincidence, I cannot help but think of it as more like an appointment. An appointment to reunite, share, discuss, encourage, pray, and reflect. It truly was refreshing to have such an encounter, especially since I have only been here just over a week.

What appointments have you had recently?

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Dude thats fricken' crazy. You remember that time we were on that chair lift and your good friends from home sat next to us and we didn't find out till half way up... Thats so funny. Its good to hear from you. Glad you are having fun. We love you.

Unknown said...

Austin,

Your story goes on. Clifford shared about "YOUR DIVINE APPOINTMENT" in our Sunday School hour and he was just as excited and encouraged as you were. We are enjoying reading your stories and hearing about your work. Galations 6:9-10