7.10.2010

Street people and my response

I have been thinking a lot of the people you see on streets lately. You know the people I am referring to. They are often asking for something, maybe even in the same place each day. They may be playing an instrument, wanting to sell something, look a bit dirty, smile and try to talk to you, or just keep their head down with their hand out. Of course I'm referring to people that are generally known as homeless. I have trouble using the word homeless at times, and before I go any further I thought I'd explain why that is. Once I heard someone talking about homelessness (I can't remember who it was or where or when, just what was said) and he asked why we describe these people in a way that focuses on what they do not have. Most of our descriptions of people or groups or whatever are based on what they have or do, not on what they do not. Interesting. Also, I am not always convinced that every person you see on the street is actually without a home. Maybe they are travelers, or migrants, or only temporarily homeless. Those are my thoughts surrounding the word homeless, but for the sake of the conversation making sense I'll use it as I write.

I have been thinking of homeless people recently because since moving to Seattle and living very near to the downtown neighborhood, I am constantly passing by and surrounded by homeless people. My experience with, or I guess my awareness of homeless people started on a middle school trip with my church to an urban area in the U.S. where we worked with a church to serve the homeless. Once I moved to Denver to attend university I learned more about homelessness because some friends were really into the campus ministry devoted to serving those people. Denver also consistently ranks in the top 8 in homeless population so there is a large need there. I then when I was volunteering in Amsterdam, Netherlands I was exposed to homelessness outside the U.S. Besides the international side of it, the difference between my exposure to homelessness in Amsterdam versus in other places before was that in Amsterdam it became more personal. Personal because I would make friends with people through my work at the youth hostel and for many different reasons, I would sometimes have to say goodnight to those friends knowing they would wander the streets for a few hours, looking for a place to crash and hoping the police would not come and tell them to leave. And now I am here, in Seattle, surrounded by people who are in need. And this makes me ask questions and think about what my role in all of this is, especially as a Christian because Jesus said things like this..

"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also, if someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you.

If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that. And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' lend to 'sinners', expecting to be repaid in full. But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful." Luke 6:27-36 NIV

Jesus cannot be serious, can he? If someone takes something from me, don't expect it back? Lend to someone without expecting repayment? To me I wonder if this is really what he was trying to say because it sounds backwards, it's tough, it's not what I'm used to. But why would Jesus say something if he wasn't serious? What are we as Christians, people who are called to follow and obey Christ, to do with this? I see a consistent theme here in these verses. It has to do with Jesus telling us to be different. Even 'sinners' do things that we may think are good. Jesus wants us to do more than just good I think. And that is where I feel like I often stop.

I struggle with seeing people on the street and understanding what I am to do about it. Money? What if they use it for something 'bad?' Time? What if I'm late? But if these words of Christ are true and I have to assume that he is serious, I don't think I can ask these questions. I am to have mercy, give without repayment, and love people even if they hate me. I have a burden. I see people on the street and I don't like it. It stirs something within me. I often walk by, not knowing what to do. And I feel like I can't do that anymore. My conscience is one thing, but when I have a burden and conviction from the person I claim to base my life around, how can I keep walking by?

I've decided to do a couple things. They're not huge or super crazy but things I think I could do. For one, I am going to start looking at people in the eye and recognize that they are there. I realized a tendency sometimes is to look away but isn't that showing them more than anything what you feel about them as a person? Another thing I will do is when I have, for whatever reason, a draw toward someone, to stop and acknowledge them, ask about them, and learn about what their need is. And also I am praying for a generous heart and eyes to see these people in the way Christ would. Simple things, but a good start for myself I think.

Don't be fooled into the lie that there are only people in need in the slums, or the alleys, or the streets. Christ's words stung my pride and my preconceived ideas about homelessness and I hope for a similar experience for you in your sphere of influence. Let's strive to live like redeemed people. It's what our Savior asks.

For more information on homelessness in the U.S. check out the National Alliance to End Homelessness. They have some good resources and thoughts.

3 comments:

Pierre-Emmanuel said...

Hi Austin ! A pleasure to read you... continue writing :-). I hope you're fine, and that all is good in your life by the mercy of God. Bye !

Linda said...

I am stirred, and shamed, and motivated by your thoughts. Just today, we walked past a needy person who tried to start a conversation - we felt uncomfortable and walked away. I like the changes you are making and will try them myself. This I do know that God has placed this desire to help in you and with your willingness will show you what to do, even though it will probably be one step at a time. Keep your heart open and he will use you!

Sharon said...

Austin...I'm in awe of your heart and your willingness to truly SEE people as God sees them. Be blessed by God and keenly aware of His leading as you travel the very same streets as these people do, day after day after day.