8.10.2010

the power of living

I am a sucker for quotes, 'inspirational sayings', or just a good word. Today I heard one and thought it was worth sharing.

"There is only one way of turning people's loyalty to Christ, and that is by loving others with the great love of God. We cannot revive faith with argument, but we might catch the imagination of puzzled men and women by an exhibition of a fellowship so intensely alive that every thoughtful person would be forced to respect it."

From 'Alternative to Futility' by Elton Trueblood

I might have found another book I'd like to put on my list. I think the reason I am so attracted to these words is because recently I keep hearing and seeing and reading about the power of God being shown in a seemingly non powerful kind of way and I love that. Not because this idea of just loving others is 'trendy' or 'relevant' but because I think the transformational power of living a redeemed life really pleases God and shows what is possible with him. Intellectual conversations and the like have their place but the real work of bringing restoration to the world is accomplished through Christ followers following Christ and that's what I was reminded of today.

No comments: